Sunday, April 3, 2011

Our Fun/Crazy General Conference Weekend

 First of all, there is going to be a temple in Meridian, ID!!! This is my home town and I am so excited!  I started crying when I heard the news.  What a blessing it is to have the Gospel of Jesus Christ restored on the earth today and a living Prophet to guide us.  I am so grateful to be able to serve and worship in the temple of the Lord and receive it's blessings.

My poor husband had to work a really long shift on Friday and didn't get home until Saturday at 8:30am so he crashed for most of the day until Priesthood Session.  So I was on my own with the kids.

I got a set of these pictures of the First Presidency and the Apostles from lds.org for about $5 and then I got clear contact paper and put it on each picture front and back to keep them durable and clean.  When one of the prophets or apostles would get up to speak I would help Anna find his picture and she had fun learning their names.  I know a 2 year old can't find much interest in General Conference but I wanted a way to at least involve her a little bit and get her excited so that she doesn't just think of conference as a boring thing mom and dad watch twice a year. We now have these awesome pictures to pull out every conference and for family home evenings. 

This is my general conference experience with a 2 year old and 8 month old:  We get back from the park and I turn conference on the computer while we find the picture of President Monson.  Everyone decides they are starving so I try to feed them while I am listening (some what).  Anna escapes out the front door and starts running for the park because she wants to put Tigger in the swing.  I run after her and Joshua starts screaming because I walked away from him.  It takes me a little while to calm them down and then Anna has to go potty every 3 minutes and Joshua follows us into the bathroom and screams because I won't let him play in the toilet.  Joshua has a blowout poop so I miss a talk because of that.  I get everyone on the couch to watch and I have Joshua laying on my lap fussing and drinking his bottle and then Anna is sitting on my shoulders trying to stuff Cheezits into my mouth and giggling. 

It was quite an adventure but I love my sweet little children and they are worth it and I know that they will learn to love General Conference too as they get older.  Even though I didn't get to hear every talk live(thank goodness we can listen to and read it again here) the spirit was so strong in our home and the Prophets and Apostles and God spoke to us and encouraged us!

P.S. When I first got married I was set on taking wonderful notes of every session and going to the church for most sessions so that I would not miss anything.  But obviously I had not been a mother of little children yet.  Now I understand the importance of motherhood and doing my best to be an example of the Savior to my children even if I don't hear every word of conference(or church for that matter). :)

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea to involve your little one in conference. You have a cute family. Do you still have family in Meridian? My parents are off of Eagle and Ustick Roads, the same home I grew up in. I went to Meridian High for three years and then was part of the first graduating class at Eagle High my senior year. I graduated in 1996.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, dropping in again to respond to your questions (by the way, my email is handsfullmom at gmail if you have any more!). We get back to Meridian about once a year to see my parents.

    I never wanted to live in Utah, but here we are, after 14 years of marriage and I really have grown to love it. Provo is a great place, crazy spring weather aside.

    ReplyDelete