Friday, March 18, 2011

Nothing Worth Having Comes Easy


So last night was a crazy one! My husband works in the evenings right now so I am on my own with the kids during the fussy time ;) Last night I laid down on the couch to try and get rid of my headache while the kids were playing and watching a movie. While I was resting Anna came up and said "change Joshua's poo poo." I told her just a minute. About 5 minutes later she tells me again so I get myself up and Joshua had pooped and somehow managed to smear it all over the living room, on the couches and rug. I threw the kids in the bath and got them dresses. We had a Relief Society dinner to go to in an hour so I attempted to try and clean up but everyone was so whiny so I got everyone in the car and we just left and drove around until it started.

When we got there my kids were so fussy and both of them are very attached to me and wouldn't go to nursery without crying like they were being tortured. I was about to leave half way through but I had wonderful friends who pulled out awesome snacks and crayons to try to distract for a little longer and keep me there. (oh, and Anna wet her panties in the car seat on the way there and all I had was an extra pull up.) I am surprised they didn't kick me out of the meeting! I came home to a house turned upside down with dirty dishes and never ending poop and pee. Finally I quickly got the kids in bed and did a massive clean until midnight. My husband came home to laugh and sympathize with my situation.

Now people at church probably think I am crazy but really, that was just a bad night. My children are only 16 months apart and I often get comments like "isn't that hard?" or "I'm so sorry." My answer is of coarse" it is HARD,' but nothing worth having comes easy. I find it interesting that people are so concerned about trying to avoid "hard work" that they often miss out on some of life's greatest blessings and opportunities to become better. I have never once envied a person who didn't work hard. The best people I know are hard workers. It is a blessing to work and should we really expect every thing in life to come easy?

I love my children with all my heart (even on the hard days) and I will not choose to stop having children because I think it will be to "hard." What a selfish thing that would be on my part.

F. David Stanley said in the April 1993 General Conference session "Hard work is a blessing of God. It involves going after it “with all your heart, might, mind and strength.” (D&C 4:2.) That alone is the difference between the average and the excellent."

So to all those that wonder, yes, it is sometimes hard, but oh it is worth it, and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world!

1 comment:

  1. Amen! and I had no idea how hard that night was for you. I would have totally followed you home and helped you clean! Now I can see why you looked so flustered. You are an awesome mom! Your kids are gonna look back at all of your hard work and be so grateful. They have your legacy to bless them and their kids.

    ReplyDelete